Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pumpkin Balls


Fall is around the corner so I've begun revisiting some old recipes that get me in the mood for cool weather.  I must admit, I'm pretty darn excited about sweaters.  Anyway, here's a favorite from a few years ago...Check out my link to the original recipe, it's a great tutorial!

FALL BALLS
Recipe and tips adapted from Blunder Construction:

Ingredients:
1 cup cookie crumbs, pureed (whatever you have in the house)
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seed crumbs (or sunflower seeds!)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup apple butter
3/4 cup pumpkin Puree
2 cups chocolate chips or chunks
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Method:
Mix dry ingredients (cookie crumbs, pumpkin seed crumbs, powdered sugar and spices) until all clumps are gone.
Incorporate apple butter and pumpkin puree.
Note: The original recipe over at Blunder Construction (link above) called for graham cracker crumbs...while I believe that's probably the most delicious option, I chose to use leftover cookies rather than go to the grocery store.
Sustainable options:
- Make your own pumpkin puree with  a locally grown pie pumpkin.  I almost did that and then decided I’d rather take a nap…so I used canned.
-Use homemade apple butter.  I had some in my fridge made by my colleague, Doug.   Yum!  But, if you don’t have an awesome co-worker who makes you delicious foods, you can purchase applesauce/apple butter from the store or farmers market.


- Scoop teaspoon sized amounts of the truffle mixture onto a cookie sheet and then place in freezer for at least 2 hours.
- While you wait, make a grilled cheese sandwich and cuddle with your puppy on the couch.
- Remove the cookie sheet from freezer and shape into round balls.
- Melt chocolate and combine with vegetable oil. 
- Dip the balls into the chocolate mixture. 
- Decorate as desired (immediately!).
Allow chocolate to harden.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment