Sunday, September 1, 2013

Gluten Free Jammies

It’s a beautiful Sunday morning here and I’m enjoying a hot cup of coffee (I only allow myself a few cups a week now) and a delicious new recipe that I’ve adapted from The Gluten Free Goddess.

I have made this now about 5 different times in 5 completely different ways.  The first time, it failed…but, even burnt to a crisp, it was delicious.  I’ve also made it sugar free…then they taste more like breakfast bars than dessert.  But, this has been the most successful version…

(Gluten Free) JammiesYes, a silly name…but, the first time I made them, I was making dessert for 50 strangers and every time I referred to this dish, I kept saying, “you know…those jammie thingies”

Crust:
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup ground GF Oats
- 1/2 cup sweet brown rice flour
-  1/2 cup GF All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon egg replacer
- 6 Tablespoons Earth Balance spread
- 1-2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
Middle:
- 12-15 ounces Jam or Jelly
Topping:
-  1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup ground GF Oats
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup puffed brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Earth Balance Spread
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil

Method:
Heat oven to 350.  Line jelly roll with parchment paper – leaving enough excess paper available to lift bars out of pan later.  Pat crust into pan. Bake crust for 8 minutes.  Remove from oven.
Spoon jam on warm crust and then layer topping on jam.  Bake for another 22-25 minutes – until top is golden brown.
Remove from oven and place pan on cooling rack.  Place pan in freezer for 10-20 minutes.
Remove from freezer, lift bars from pan and transfer to a cutting board.  Cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment